Thursday, October 23, 2008

Snap! Crackle! Pop!



I haven't made Rice Krispies Treats since elementary school, so eating freshly made clusters of these ooey-gooey treats really takes me back to playground days. I decided to incorporate autumn-colored m&m's to give a slight twist to this classic snack. The bitterness of dark chocolate m&m's complements the sweetness of marshmallows quite well. Next time, I think I'll add a thin drizzle of melted dark chocolate after I slice it up to resemble one of those cute Quaker Chewy Bars. There are so many ways to edit the original recipe!



Rice Krispies Treats
Source: adapted from Kellogg's Rice Krispies

Ingredients:
3 tbs butter
1 package 10.5 oz marshmallows
6 c. crispy rice cereal
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c. chocolate candies

Directions:
* Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Add vanilla extract. Remove from heat.
* Add crispy rice cereal. Stir until well coated.
* Using waxed paper or a buttered spatula, press mixture evenly into a 13x9x2-in. pan lined with waxed paper or coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle chocolate candies and press into the bar before it cools. Allow to cool and cut into 2-in. squares. Best if served the same day. Makes 24 squares.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

if you ever need someone to sample the stuff... just call

Natt said...

Kathy! I stumbled upon your blog through facebook, because I saw Yao's comment on your wall. I love it! I see that it's a fledgling blog, so I urge you to continue -- fantastic photography and prose, and of course those recipes look delicious and fun to try.